This Nativity scene works wonderful for Advent with its simple reminder of what's to come...and it makes an even better gift. Cut a few extra pieces of wood, and use the extra burlap, twine, and knobs for a no-cost present - it will be one your friends and family will love!
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2x2 wood cut into three lengths: (1) Joseph: 5.5" long, (2) Mary: 4.5" long, (3) Baby Jesus: 2.0" long
- 3 pieces of brown (neutral) twine cut 9" long
- 1 piece of brown (neutral) burlap cut to size: 2.75" x 8.0"
- 1 piece of blue burlap cut to size: 6" x 7"
- paint in blue, white, and tan
- wooden knobs in three sizes: (1) Joseph: 1.5", (2) Mary: 1.25", (3) Baby Jesus: 0.75"
- paint brushes
HOW TO MAKE
- Prep the materials as noted in the list above
- Paint each of the 2x2 pieces: Joseph in tan, Mary in blue, and Baby Jesus in gray
- Wait for the paint to dry. Fun stuff, I know.
- JOSEPH: stand the "body" of Joseph up. Glue the largest knob onto the top, right in the center. Tie the twine around the center, where his waist would be.
- MARY: stand the "body" of Mary up. Glue the medium knob onto the top, right in the center. Wrap the blue burlap around her like a cloak. I found it easiest to do this by first folding the burlap in half, and laying it over her head, then sliding it back just a bit and tying it off. Play around until it lays the way you like. Tie the twine towards the top...think A-line dress here.
- JESUS: stand the "body" of Baby Jesus up. Glue the smallest knob onto the top, towards the front of the body. Wrap the brown burlap around Baby Jesus, again centering it at the top and adjusting it until you find a position you like. Tie the twine around the center.
- Enjoy your beautiful and unique nativity!